Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It rained, twice!

November 10, 2011:
It rained in Abu Dhabi last night.  Its big news this morning.  Front page of the newspapers!  My podmate Wa'el went to the mall at 10pm and came out at 11pm and it was raining, He had to walk 300m to his car and he got WET! 
I was home in bed in my apartment, and heard the wind starting up. It sounded like rain, so I jumped out of bed and out to my veranda and stood there for a while watching the wind whip the palm trees about and wondered why I was getting dust in my eyes.  There was no rain but there was a sandstorm raging through the apartment complex. (My apartment is about 20km from the main city where Wa'el was shopping.) At one stage I couldn't see the apartment block across the yard about 20 metres away for flying sand.  I decided to go in and shut the door before I got blown off the balcony!  This morning there is dust throughout the house.  My neighbour, who didn't open her doors at all, said she has sand all over her floor too.  I think I will have to get a maid to sweep my floors if this weather keeps up!

Saturday November 13, 2011:
It rained again!  It rained on me!  I had just put my washing out on the deck and I heard this unfamiliar noise. Looked up and it was hosing down - massive big droplets were actually falling from the sky!  I rushed out and got my washing.  It stopped again after half an hour, but there was still a puddle on my deck a couple of hours later.  Astonishing how quickly I've come to see rain as a unnatural phenomena!  

No comments:

Post a Comment